Record midi out of one track as midi input on another track? how to do that?

edited July 30 in General chat

Hello peeps.
I am new to NS2 and am used to Studio One on PC where I can assign the midi out of a track as the input to another track. Is there a way to do this on NS2?

Before someone suggests simply copying the clips on the one track to another track, this is fine usually but not when you have effects/players which exist on a track and when what you hear is more than what you see as events on the track.... for example, Scaler2... you can hear Scaler doing stuff that is more than just the midi notes you can see on the track.... so I'd want all that Scaler2 data, every separate audible note, to be recoded onto another track so I can edit it if needs be.

I know with scaler you can export by using the MIDI CAPTURE function, but this is clunky and I see it as a work-around... also some effects/players will not necessarily be able to export their midi data directly as Scaler2 can.

Thanks! Mark.

Comments

• I’ve never tried to do this so I may be wrong, but I don’t think this is possible. The “clunky” method of capturing MIDI with Scaler2 (I don’t use that either) and importing it may be the only method. Let us know how it goes, especially if you find a better work-around.

• edited July 31

You can probably do what you want with the free Streambyter app. Basically, you run it standalone outside of NS2 and it just sits there giving you something to send midi out of and back into NS2.

Check this Wiki article for a similar use case that you may be able to adapt to your usage. If not, or you need help, describe the Scaler 2 use you have in mind in detail, and I'll see if I can come up with a working configuration.

• I’m re-reading the OP and I’m not quite sure what the question is. I may not be of much help since I don’t use Scaler2, but Scaler is just creating chord progressions, basslines, and melodies right? I don’t get what would be missed by exporting MIDI out of Scaler 2, unless it is subtle LFO modulation type stuff on some Scaler 2 synth presets? What other MIDI info could Scaler 2 possibly create that would not be recognized by NS2? Is Scaler 2 creating MIDI MPE? Are you using MIDI FX inside Sclaer 2? I feel like I am missing a key part of this because I don’t use Scaler 2 or MIDI FX.

• @SlapHappy no other midi info. As I said, It is clunky. IOS import export and restrictive folder access etc is a pain in the butt... and I'd have to name a file, find a place to export it, then do that, then go to the clunky import on NS2 to find the midi and import it.
    What would be an obvious solution is to do as you can on Studio One, which is to simply assign the output of one track as the trigger for another.
    Since writing this, i've got the distinct impression that development on this app has all but stopped, which is a pity as I have only just bought it as something to use.

• @number37 said:
    You can probably do what you want with the free Streambyter app. Basically, you run it standalone outside of NS2 and it just sits there giving you something to send midi out of and back into NS2.

Check this Wiki article for a similar use case that you may be able to adapt to your usage. If not, or you need help, describe the Scaler 2 use you have in mind in detail, and I'll see if I can come up with a working configuration.

Thanks 37, that does do the job pretty well, though requires jumping through about 10 hoops before getting there! So sad to hear NS2 is not being developed anymore... assigning tracks as input to other tracks would be so much better.